Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bunny Cakes

Lately during Teagan's nap time, Tess requests that she and I watch cooking shows. We watch some on YouTube . After living with my aunt, Doreen who was in pastry chef school while we were living together, Tessa is very well versed in cake language. It was her idea to find a bunny cake and we did. Last weekend, my sister and me and the girls executed the cakes. We made the cakes from scratch, a simple shortbread recipe and the icing was just cream cheese, a touch of butter and some maple syrup. I bought some small candies from Whole Foods and cut the ears from construction paper. The teeth are made of gum, though Teagan ate her "teeth." Tessa requested "piping" so she used a bag of icing and squeezed it out and smoothed it with a knife. Teagan was delighted with herself using her hands to smash down the icing.

It was fun and rather than feeling pulled in a million directions, Colleen's helped enabled me to counter the difference of ages in my girls. Sometimes, I have to remember Teagan isn't even 2 yet. And also that getting dirty can actually be a learning experience.







No comments:

Post a Comment